Meeting Venues in the Czech Republic
- Informal Ministerial Meeting of the General Affairs Council (8 January 2009)
- Meeting venue: Lichtenštejnský palác (Lichtenstein Palace)
- Press centre: Michnův palác (Michna Palace)
Lichtenstein Palace is located on the left bank of the River Vltava, only a few steps from the Charles Bridge. Originally, the palace was built in the early-Baroque style by František Helfrid of Kaiserštejn. Subsequently, it was re-built by the Lichtenstein family, in the Neo-Renaissance style. Since 1991, when the palace underwent a complete reconstruction, it has been used by the Government of the Czech Republic, and its interiors have been turned into luxury apartments for the government’s most esteemed guests.
- Informal Meeting of Defence Ministers (12-13 March 2009)
- Meeting Venue: Crowne Plaza Hotel, Prague
- Press Centre: Dům armády Praha (Armed Forces House), Prague
Originally known as the Internacionál, the Crowne Plaza Hotel was built in the 1950s by order of the Defence Minister at that time. Today, it is a monument of national heritage, combining the style of early Socialist Realism with Art Deco features, and its tower, which is 70 metres (230 feet) high, boasts a splendid view of the whole city centre. Following a recent renovation, the Hotel offers some of the most attractive conference premises in Prague. The rooms, abounding in daylight, are named after heroes and heroines of Czech mythology, as an allusion to the nearby natural reserve Šárka and the role it played in the mythical past. Dům armády Praha (Armed Forces House) on Vítězné Square in Prague, today serving as the premises of the Ministry of Defence and the General Staff of the Army of the Czech Republic, is part of a complex of buildings dating from the era of the first Czechoslovak Republic. Following an extensive reconstruction, the House has been turned into a modern conference centre with restaurants, hotel rooms and a press conference room situated in the former Evropa cinema.
- Informal Meeting of Ministers for Justice and Home Affairs (15-16 January 2009)
- Informal Meeting of Ministers for Development Cooperation (29-30 January 2009)
- Meeting of EU Ministers for Family Affairs (4-5 February 2009)
- Informal Meeting of Education Ministers (22-23 March 2009)
- Informal Meeting of Ministers for Economic and Financial Affairs (3-4 April 2009)
- Informal Meeting of Ministers for the Environment (14-15 April 2009)
- Informal Meeting of Ministers for Competitiveness (3-5 May 2009)
- Venue: Prague Congress Centre
- Press centre: Prague Congress Centre
Eight informal meetings are to be held at the Prague Congress Centre, which, since its renovation in 2000, has hosted several world-class events, including the Annual Meeting of the International Monetary Fund and the World Bank Group in September 2000 and the NATO Summit in November 2002. The construction of the Congress Centre began at the turn of the 1980s, opening its doors on 2 April 1981. The Centre comprises 20 halls and 50 meeting rooms with capacities ranging from 12 to 2,764 delegates; the overall capacity is 9,090.
- Map of Prague (pdf, 1457 kB)
- E-mail: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Websites: www.pis.cz, www.prague-info.cz
- Informal Meeting of Ministers for Employment and Social Affairs (22-24 January 2009)
- Venue: Luhačovice, Lázně Luhačovice Community House
- Press centre: Luhačovice - Lázeňská cukrárna (Spa Confectionary), Lázeňská poliklinika (Spa polyclinic)
The Community House, the town’s principal community building, dominates the spa complex. Built between 1933 and 1935 by a well-known Prague architect František Roith, it displays obvious Functionalist features combined with details close to Art Deco. The structure is incorporated into the layout of the spa’s square. Today, conferences, congresses and various social events take place here.
- Map of Luhačovice (pdf, 532 kB)
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Website: www.luhacovice.cz
- Informal Meeting of Ministers for Foreign Affairs (Gymnich) (27-28 March 2009)
- Venue: Hluboká nad Vltavou Castle and Aleš South Bohemian Gallery
- Press centre: Riding-School, Aleš South Bohemian Gallery, and press centre marquees
Hluboká nad Vltavou Castle was originally built by the Kings of Bohemia in the mid-13th century as a stronghold to watch over the surrounding area. Hluboká passed through the hands of several noble families before it was purchased in 1661 by Jan Adolf I Schwarzenberg, the founding member of a family line that maintained a high profile in South Bohemia for nearly 300 years. The Schwarzenbergs rebuilt Hluboká Castle twice, initially in the early 18th century in the Baroque style, and then in the romantic Neo-Gothic style between 1840 and 1871, including the park and the surrounding landscape. The project’s chief inspiration was Windsor Castle. The Schwarzenbergs remained at Hluboká until the end of 1939, when Adolf Schwarzenberg, the last owner, emigrated due to the Nazi threat. The Schwarzenbergs’ estate was placed under national administration on 8 May 1945 and the castle was subsequently nationalised. The family definitively lost the title to their castle when a 1947 law dubbed Lex Schwarzenberg was enacted.
Aleš South Bohemian Gallery in Hluboká nad Vltavou is a historical art museum run by the South Bohemian Region (Jihočeský kraj) and figures among the five largest institutions of its kind in the Czech Republic. Its collections comprise 200,000 pictures, sculptures, drawings, graphic prints pieces of ceramics and porcelain. The entire collection is artistically and historically priceless. The most valuable objects, however, are the Gothic paintings and sculptures, one of the most famous and largest collection of its kind in the Czech Republic.
- Map of Hluboká nad Vltavou (pdf, 704 kB)
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: www.hluboka.cz
- Informal Meeting of Ministers for Regional Development (23-24 April 2009)
- Venue: Mariánské Lázně, Casino Conference and Cultural Centre
- Press centre: Mariánské Lázně, Casino Conference and Cultural Centre
The Casino Conference and Cultural Centre, built between 1899 and 1901 in the Italian Neo-Renaissance style, has witnessed various social events and balls over the years. One of the most significant was the First International Film Festival in 1946, known today as the Karlovy Vary Film Festival.
The Casino Conference and Cultural Centre is today a popular venue for concerts, balls, lectures, exhibitions, and festivals. Every year, it hosts the opening and closing concerts of the Mariánské Lázně Chopin Festival, in which prominent conductors and musicians from all over the world participate.
- Map of Mariánské Lázně (pdf, 929 kB)
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Website: www.marianskelazne.cz
- Informal Meeting of Transport Ministers (29-30 April 2009)
- Venue: Litoměřice House of Culture, Na Valech, 412 01 Litoměřice
- Press centre: Litoměřice, adjacent primary school (25m from the House of Culture).
This cultural and congress centre was built at the end of the 1980s. Architecturally, it is designed to complement the former Gothic castle and forms a spacious congress venue for conferences and cultural events. The House of Culture lies within walking distance of the historical town square, one of the largest in Bohemia with a surface of 1.8 hectares. The town of Litoměřice has a population of 25,000 and lies at the confluence of the Labe (Elbe) and the Ohře (Eger) Rivers in the beautiful landscape at the foot of the České středohoří mountain range. The history of Litoměřice dates back to the early 12th century. Today it is not only a major commercial and tourist centre, but also a river port on the European waterway on the Elbe.
- Informal Meeting of Ministers for Agriculture and Fisheries (31 May – 2 June 2009)
- Venue: Brno Fair Ground – Pavilion A2 and Rotunda
- Press centre: Brno Fair Ground – Congress Centre
The Brno Fair Ground opened in 1928 with an Exhibition of Contemporary Culture in Czechoslovakia. It is one of the most significant Functionalist complexes of its time. All pavilions are designed by well-known architects. Today, the complex, approximately two kilometres from the city centre of Brno, ranks among Europe’s most famous exhibition grounds. It currently belongs to BVV Veletrhy Brno, a company which organises an average of 40 exhibitions, shows, concerts, and other events here throughout the year.
- Press Release (pdf, 49 kB)
Last update: 16.8.2011 16:03